This recipe for Monkey bread was by request of Susan, who had read my weekly recipe posts at the Cake Appreciation Society Fan Page (Every Wednesday, I have the pleasure of posting a feature cake recipe for their community). While I've never made Monkey bread before, I have used my (now not so secret) recipe for a sweet yeast dough for the cake. I have a bread maker to mix and rise the dough in for convenience. But if you do not have one, I have provided the steps for mixing by hand, using dried yeast.
This recipe for Monkey Bread is apparently an American favourite, I don't know much about it, so if you have some stories to share, that would be great! I baked this cake this morning, and I have to say, it is so delicious, it's like a pull-apart, cinnamony syrupy cluster of donuts- but better! I wonder what it would taste like with the chocolate melts dropped in between the dough balls?
My Recipe for sweet yeast dough
2 teaspoons salt
3 tablespoons sugar
600g bread makers flour (works best)
2 x 60g eggs
60g chopped melted butter
2 1/2 teaspoons dried yeast
I use a bread maker to mix my dough in, at BREAD setting. Adding ingredients to the pan in order of the above list. If you don't have a bread maker, you'll need to follow these instructions:
1) To activate yeast, mixing the yeast in 100mL of the warmed milk and a tablespoon of the sugar. It should bubble up over a period of 5-10 minutes, if left in a warmish area.
2) Then mix yeast, liquid, suagr, salt, melted buter and eggs and flour together.
3) Knead the dough. The more you knead the smaller and more numerous the pockets of air become. You'll know that the dough has been kneaded enough when it looks smooth and satiny.
4) The dough needs to rise. Place dough in a greased bowl (sunflower oil or vegetable oil is best) and covered with plastic wrap or a clean dish towel to avoid moisture loss and a dry, crusty surface from forming.
5) Leave dough in a warm, draft-free environment to rise until about double in size.
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
4 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup raisins
1/4 cup chopped pecans
To assemble your monkey bread recipes, form risen sweet dough recipe into 40 balls. Combine white sugar, brown sugar and cinnamon. Melt butter. Roll the balls first in the butter, then in the cinnamon mix.
Place balls in a greased tube pan, layering as you fill the pan. Sprinkle with nuts and raisins between layers. Raise recipe monkey bread until double, then bake in a 180 C oven for one hour.
After 10 mintues, turn out cake and serve, by pulling apart the individual balls, it's a shared cake- so have enough forks ready This recipe is really simple, and would make a yummy picnic or weekend treat. What do you think?