This was a popular request this week, my Recipe for Cherry Almond Cookies. These cookies are fancy looking, and really delicious as an after dinner dessert with coffee or an elegant afternoon tea. This is a really simple recipe.
Recipe for Cherry Almond Cookies
Makes about 25
1/3 cup castor sugar
1 egg yolk
275g plain flour
1/2 teaspoon almond essence
1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
80g almond slivers
80g whole glace cherries
150g dark chocolate
1) Use butter at room temperature. Combine butter, sugar and egg yolk with a large spoon, mix until it forms a paste- do not cream.
2) Stir in sifted flour, lemon rind, essence, almonds, cherries, mix well.
3) Pull out a large sheet of plastic food wrap. Drop dough onto food wrap, roll up in plastic wrap like a bonbon and push it into an oblong shape, measuring 20cm x 4cm. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
4) Once firm, cut bar into 5mm thick slices with a sharp knife. Place onto lined baking tray. Bake in modertae oven for 13-15 minutes of until light golden.
5) Cool on tray for 5 minutes, then place on rack.
6) Melt chocolate, dip half of each cookie into the chocolate, shake off excess chocolate. Fill a small nozzled piping bag, or plastic ziplock lunch bag (just cut a tiny corner) and drizzle a fine run of chocolate across the biscuit as shown in the picture. Refrigerate on rack until set.
Enjoy, let me know in the comments how you go with this recipe.