This recipe for carrot cake was a request from a fan of the Cake Appreciation Society's Fan Page on facebook, where I guest post a weekly Wednesday feature recipe. This is an easy carrot cake to bake, but it's the butterscotch frosting which takes this cake the next level of YUM.
Recipe for carrot cake
28cm oblong cake tin/loaf tin
2/3 cup brown sugar
2 eggs lightly beaten
2 teaspoons finely grated orange zest
2/3 cup chopped walnuts
1.5 cups grated carrot
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1 1/2 cups self raising flour
1 cup plain flour
1/2 cup milk
1) Pre heat oven to 180C or moderate. Grease and line tin with baking paper.
2) Using electric mixers, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs gradually, then the rind. Beat until combined.
3) Add grated carrot, sifted flour, spices, nuts, and fold together using a large metal or wooden spoon, adding milk as you go. Spoon mixture evenly into prepared tin, smooth down the top of the cake. Bake for 35-40 minutes of until a skewer comes out clean when inserted into the centre. Leave 10 minutes in the tin, before turning out to cool on a wire rack.
Butterscotch cream cheese frosting
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
125g cream cheese, softened (I use the light cream cheese because it is softer already!)
1) Beat butter until fluffy then add sugar, until the sugar has dissolved. Mix through vanilla.
2) Beat cream cheese with electric beater until light and creamy. Add this to butter mixture, and beat until combined and smooth. Using spatula, spread frosting over entire cake and serve.
Enjoy baking this cake, it can be stored in the freezer for up to 2 months. Let me know in the comments about your favourite carrot cake recipe