Cookie Recipe to use up left over egg yolks
I have posted a few recipes recently, like whoopie pies and the rainbow cake, which use a lot of egg whites, leaving you with lots of egg yolks! So I thought I’d post a recipe for you which I use all year round to use up left over egg yolks, and the cookies are gluten free!
Firstly, you need to freeze you egg yolks to use at a later stage or you could use them fresh in you’re in a real baking mood. I put the yolks into a zip lock bag, three yolks at a time. This way I always know that there are three in there!
This recipe is called Lemon Hearts, my mum always baked these cookies when we were kids…now I know why! They are sweet, lemon flavoured, almond biscuits topped with a drizzle of tart, lemony icing. These little cookies are very addictive and really simple and quick to make. Great to make with the kids on holidays or for weekend treats.
Lemon Hearts Recipe for using up left over egg yolks (gluten free)
3 egg yolks
4 tablespoons luke warm water if your egg yolks were frozen and then defrosted.
145g castor sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
3/4 teaspoon lemon essence
3/4 teaspoon Baking powder
250g ground almonds
1) Using an electric mixer with the whisker, whisk egg yolks and sugar until thick and creamy and pale in colour. If you have defrosted your egg yolks they’ll be firm still and different in colour…also add the water if you have used frozen egg yolks. Pre heat oven to moderate.
2) Whisk in the flavouring. Mix in the baking powder and almond meal with a large spoon until combined.
3) Turn dough out onto a floured surface- I use icing sugar to flour the surface so that the cookies are not dry and they stay gluten free! Knead dough with more ground almonds if necessary until you get a dough that starts to stick together.
4) Roll out to 1/2cm thick, cut out with little heart shapes. Lay these cookies on a tray lined with baking paper.
5) Bake in a moderate oven for round 10-12 minutes. Remove and cool on racks.
150g icing sugar
3 tablespoons lemon juice
a little hot water to mix until runny glaze consistency
1) Mix icing ingredients together in a bowl until smooth. Drizzle over cooled cookies.
I hope you enjoy these little Lemon Heart cookies, it’s a great way to use up left over eggs instead of omelettes! Do you have any recipes for using up left over egg yolks? I’d love to know Happy Baking
2 Responses to Cookie Recipe to use up left over egg yolks
Leave a Reply
- Online lustre painting on porcelain class- Daisies and asters: Learn how to paint with lustres on porcelain online, here at Ingrid Creates Online Arts School, in your time, at your pace- foreve...
- Online Pansy and Blossom Embroidery class: You can learn how to embroider pansies online, here at Ingrid Creates Online Arts School, in a few hours! ...
- Porcelain Painting Lustres Basics 2 (video) free tutorial: Hi there . Welcome to our Free Mini Tutorial on Lustre basics for porcelain Basics 2 (video). You must be a Re...
- Porcelain Painting Lustres Basics 1 (video) free tutorial: Hi there . Welcome to our Free Mini Tutorial on Lustre basics for porcelain Basics 1 (video). You must be a Re...
Get Creative! JOIN US TODAY
I hope my creative journeys and interests will inspire you to join me and hundreds of other creative people around the world to start your adventure in painting or embroidery today.
Learning with me online is easy and achievable, because it's step by step with close up video shots, just like you were sitting next to me. Watch Free tutorials and webinars to see more, simple register or log in, and get inspired!