I created this recipe as a special Birthday treat cupcake- Chocolate Almond, choc-chip cupcake with caramel marshmallow buttercream- and it's gluten free. The chocolate cupcake recipe is one I have created, based on a few other recipes I've tried, it's gluten free, based on almond meal and pure cornflour, light and sponge like, really easy, filled with chocolate chips...need I say more??? And for the caramel marshmallow buttercream...to die for!!!! I will try them with raspberry marshmallows too, but I've decided to use this caramel marshmallow buttercream on my son's birthday cake in a few months time...it is that good, and really easy.
Gluten free chocolate and almond cupcakes recipe
4 eggs separated
1 teaspoon vanilla
150 g melted butter
150 g ground almonds
3 tablespoons cocoa powder
2 tablespoons pure cornflour
1/4 cup chocolate chips
25 mL water
1) Preheat oven to 180C. Melt butter and allow to cool. Using an electric mixer with whisk-beater attachment, cream the egg yolks and sugar and vanilla until pale and fluffy (about 5 minutes).
2) Add sifted cornflour and cocoa, stir through. Add melted butter and mix through. Add chocolate chips and almond meal and stir through.
3) Whip egg whites until stiff peaks. Fold gently through the chocolate mixture.
4) Spoon into patty pan lined muffin tin, bake for 20 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean from the cakes.
5) Remove from oven an allow to cool before frosting.
Caramel Marshmallow Buttercream Frosting:
200g butter, softened
150g Marshmallows that are caramel flavoured
1 tablespoon golden syrup
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups icing sugar
1) Melt marshmallows for 30 seconds at Med high. Be careful with this step or you can have marshmallow mess if the power is too high.
2) Cream butter well, then beat in marshmallow for about 2 minutes. Then add golden syrup and vanilla.
3) Slowly mix in sifted powdered sugar. Add a little water one tsp at a time to make desired piping consistency (about 3-4 tablespoons).
The kids wanted some sprinkles of course!!! Happy Baking